Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Yellow Chair that Chelsea will make her bitch

Here's the thing. I love vintage shopping. But I'm not really artsy and craftsy so the whole art of how to reupholster a vintage find is beyond me. In Chicago, when you go "vintage shopping," you need to also be "old money rich." Most of the furniture is LITERALLY priced more expensive than really expensive new furniture.

So we decided to go vintage/secondhand shopping in Highland on Saturday and found a 1960s era gold, buttoned chair for $8.25 originally priced $10...but for some reason they decided to make it MORE ON SALE. When I first looked at the price I thought it said $100 and reasoned with myself that, "Hey, that's cheaper than a new Crate and Barrel chair..." So we checked the price and the lady said 10 bucks. I wanted to hug her.

So here's the gold chair that I'm going to make my bitch. My plan is to Google: How to reupholster a $8.25 chair, and go from there. Currently it's in the garage because I'm Theresa Schneider's daughter and scared of bugs living inside of old things. Also the previous owner had I'm guessing 10 cats.

Old, ugly duckling chair:




My inspiration from Room & Board, the "Guffman Chair." Named I'm sure after one of my favorite movies "Waiting for Guffman." "It's a Zen thing, like how many babies fit in a tire." However, this little ditty is $800 some odd dollars and far off budget.

Back to the $8 chair, I'm thinking red houndstooth...then I'll name it Rooms Chair after my college rooms who ROCKS that fabric on a daily basis.



(via Room&Board)

No comments:

Post a Comment